Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Sensory Tub - Brave

"I'll be shooting for my own hand!!" My favorite line in my new favorite Disney/Pixar movie, Brave. I took James and his buddy to see it last week and we all three gave it two thumbs up! And I'll admit... I cried a little in certain parts, too. But then, I'm an emotional kind of gal.

Anywho, after seeing the movie I was most inspired to make a Brave sensory tub and on my way home began creating it in my mind. Here's what I came up with...
James was on pins and needles waiting for this tub. He was really cute about helping me design it, too. He was very specific about what he wanted included, the magic cake being at the very top of the list. :)

Here's what's inside:
:: Blue/green aquarium rock (the color of Merida's main dress)
:: Orange ribbon (think of Merida's crazy locks) - I "corked" these myself using this tutorial.
:: TONS of teeny tiny arrows - I bought these on Etsy to use in making a Brave hair clip for Juliet to wear during our stay in Disney World. I only needed one, but they came in a pack of 50! Good thing after all!
:: Black bears from Safari Ltd. (supposed to represent the three bear cubs in the movie)
:: Two large wooden bears (representing the two large bears)
:: Pieces from our tree blocks
:: Blue acrylic gems (these are the wisps)
:: A Tiny castle
:: Small trees (in the movie, they spend some time in the forest)
:: Horse (Merida's Angus)
:: A "magic cake" (really just a play food donut with a flat-back gem jammed into the middle!)

I really do love this tub. I suppose that's because I really do love the movie and this is a way to keep the memory alive a little. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD!

To go along with the tub, I made a couple of activities too...
I made an archery target (in Word), punched holes around the outer perimeter, laminated it, punched holes again, and then found some soft (faux) leather string to use for lacing. I also printed out a list of words used in the movies and put some alphabet tiles (in the little green jar) so James could spell out the words.

Click the button below to see a full list of my sensory tubs or click here to view my slideshow on the Counting Coconuts Facebook page.


~Thank you for your comments!~

18 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it! We just went to see Brave for a date night (my little ones are still scared of loud movie theaters). Adding the gem to the cake is a great idea!

deby said...

Wow - very cool!

Erin said...

That is so cool!! We haven't seen the movie and my boys are already obsessed! The ribbon curls are genius

Susan C said...

Love this sensory tub! We saw the movie this past week and I was showing my son your tub and he was very excited about the baby bears (loved those wee devils!) and Angus the horse. I plan on printing out the word list for him too. He loves letters and is really getting into making words (he's 4 years old so all of the things you do for James apply for him too).

We're planning on doing Disney next summer so I'm interested to hear how your trip goes this year--especially any tips or tricks you come across.

Thanks,
Susan C. in NY

Hannahlin said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! You need a pin it button for this!!

Pretty Things by Laura H said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pretty Things by Laura H said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try these activities after we see the movie. Great ideas!

Alicia said...

I was only so-so about seeing the movie but now I want to after seeing your fun bin!

workout mommy said...

i LOVE your creative ideas! Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

Jennifer G said...

totally amazing! I love those little arrows. you are so awesome with the details!

Deebi27 said...

Great idea for a sensory table...aquarium rock, the wood pieces, ribbon, glass pieces...nothing like keeping the movie alive! Might have to try this on a larger scale in my Pre-K classroom! Thanks for the idea!

Ash said...

LOVE IT!!!!!! Thanks for coming up with these ideas! And thanks to James too! I just took my sons yesterday to see Brave and they loved it! My youngest who's 7 was a bit freaked out at parts. And I admit it, I cried too.

Aimée said...

Oh wow! Love it! Brave hasn't come out in Ireland yet but so excited to see it! Huge Disney fan too! Enjoying your excitement and your planning activities! I've been to Disneyland Paris and it was such a magical trip and to see the joy on my niece and nephew's faces made it even more wonderful!

Counting Coconuts said...

You guys are SO sweet! Thank you for your enthusiasm - totally pumps me up!

EDarling said...

That's a fantastic idea, really love your tubs, they look so professional!

Shaheen said...

so cute!! :)

The Monko said...

That is a cute tub, I love the mix of plastic and wooden bears.

Kalina said...

Great tube!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails