Monday, March 12, 2012

Story Starters

Once a week, James writes & draws in his story journal. Sometimes he makes up a story, other times, when he's feeling not so motivated, he needs a little help coming up with ideas. That's when I decided to create a tray of "story starters".

I went through some second hand National Geographic magazines and clipped some interesting photos. James selects a photo from the tray and stares at it for a minute or two, allowing the creative juices to get flowing. :)

I always enjoy seeing what he comes up with!

~Thank you for your comments!~

7 comments:

Julianna said...

Check out Chris Van Allsburg's "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick". Such an awesome picture book to inspire writing ideas!

Staci said...

I love this idea! I could see my Kinders really running with this idea! :) Thanks for the inspiration! **I'm your newest follower!!**

-Staci
Let's Teach Something

Liz said...

Hello! I love this idea and wanted to suggest another story starter. My kids -- ages 3 and 6 -- love Rory's story cubes. This is a set of 9 cubes (die) with different images on them (a bee, a tree, a key, etc.). We each take a few of the die, roll them and then make up stories together. I love seeing what my kids come up with! And I love that the cubes are small and portable -- great for long waits or car trips, too.

maddiep said...

Another new follower here! Wow some really fabulous ideas here - thankyou!
Maddie
xx
itsthemagicofpegasus.blogspot.com

Sarai said...

what a great idea! do you transcribe his stories? What age do you start? Thanks!

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you all for your kind comments!

@Sarai: I do transcribe James' stories (for the time being). Once he's a bit more fluid in his handwriting he'll take over for me. :) We started this a couple of months ago when James was 4.5 years old. I think you could start whenever you feel your child is willing/able to recite stories to you! Have fun!

Mari-Ann

Books4Learning said...

Wonderful writing idea! Thanks for sharing it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails